Gene therapy sounds daunting, but it is being hailed in new research demonstrations as a potential way to completely reverse markers of different health conditions. Gene therapy is a method of introducing new genetic material into body cells to either counterbalance the effects of malfunctioning genes, or create beneficial proteins in the body.
Topics covered on gene therapy include:
- What is gene therapy and how does it work
- The latest research and trials into gene therapy and its relation to conditions such as Type 2 diabetes and obesity
- How genetics may play a part in causing different mental health conditions
Did you know…
- There are no side effects from undergoing gene therapy
- Gene therapy is classed as an experimental technique, with ongoing research and trials into how this can benefit not only the aging population but those with different health conditions.
- There are a number of approaches to gene therapy including introducing new genes to fight diseases, replacing mutated genes with healthy copies and inactivating mutated genes to stop them functioning improperly.
Type 2 diabetes, obesity may soon be reversed with gene therapy
28 September 2018
New research demonstrations that gene therapy can completely reverse markers of type 2 diabetes and obesity in rodents. According to…Read More