Thyroid Health Conditions
The thyroid plays an immensely important part in regulating your body’s metabolic processes; for a gland that is as small as a butterfly, it controls a large number of functions and organs, including the heart, digestive system, muscles, and even plays a role in brain development. If the thyroid becomes unable to function properly and produces either too much or too little thyroid hormone (TSH), it can cause health problems including weight gain, racing heart rate, vision problems and place strain on organs like the heart.
- There are a number of disorders that are grouped under the term “thyroid disease”, including Hypothyroidism, Hyperthyroidism, Graves’ Disease and Hashimoto’s Disease. They do not only affect older people and are caused by a number of factors including genetics, lifestyle, and environmental conditions.
- Whilst there are standard medical protocols in place to treat different thyroid disorders, many seek out natural thyroid treatment alternatives, or alternatives to specific medications such as Levothyroxine.
Did you know…
- It can be difficult to obtain a diagnosis of a thyroid disorder, as conventional testing and diagnostic methods rely on blood tests that look at specific levels of different hormones related to the thyroid. If these levels fall within certain parameters (which can differ depending on the lab the blood sample is sent to), then no diagnosis will be given, even if the sufferer has symptoms of a thyroid disorder.
- Someone who is concerned about their thyroid function, or does have a definite diagnosis, may look at natural thyroid treatment options. These include Levothyroxine alternatives such as natural desiccated thyroid (NDT), which is derived from the dried thyroid glands of pigs or cows. NDT has been shown to boost thyroid hormone levels including T3 and T4.
- Women tend to be primary sufferers of thyroid disorders, although not exclusively – around one in every 20 people has a thyroid disorder, or has suffered with one in the past.
An underactive thyroid – when the thyroid doesn’t meet the needs of the body
12 December 2023
An underactive thyroid, also known as hypothyroidism is the term used when the thyroid doesn’t meet the needs of the…Read More
Thyroid disorders and improving your thyroid health
3 November 2022
In 2020 there were 586,000 thyroid cancer cases worldwide. An estimated 20 million people in the US and 1 in…Read More
Cow’s Milk- Decreasing your body’s ability to absorb thyroid hormone medication
11 October 2017
Are you diagnosed or know someone with an under-active thyroid? Results presented at ENDO 2017 from a recent preliminary study…Read More
The thyroid and adrenals, working together- how to prevent being mentally and physically ‘fogged’
29 November 2016
The thyroid and adrenals, working together- how to prevent being mentally and physically ‘fogged’ By Dr. Richard Lippman One…Read More
The epidemic of low thyroid diseases
26 November 2016
The epidemic of low thyroid diseases By Rick Wilkinson, M.D. The function of every cell in the body depends…Read More